September 26, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Syrup

I love pumpkin spice anything. No, really, I do. I'd eat a piece of cardboard if it had pumpkin spice smeared on it.

My very favorite local coffee shop, Montego Bay Coffee, closed its doors about a year ago and I still miss them.
(see: Where Everybody Knows Your Name)

I used to look forward to the September day when Pumpkin Spice Lattes were put back on the menu and would often be their "taste tester" in the days before the annual release. I was a regular customer and usually dropped by several times a week. However, during PSL season it wasn't uncommon for me to drink one there in the shop while I chatted & read the newspaper, and then get another one for the road too.

The following recipe is similar to Montego Bay's recipe for Pumpkin Spice syrup. While it's not exactly the same, it's better than Starbucks has ever even thought about being. And it contains actual pumpkin, which is not the case at Starbucks. I'm not sure exactly how much to use, though. I suppose that is up to you and your individual love for pumpkin spice. I personally use several tablespoons (roughly two shots) in a 24 ounce latte made with several shots of espresso and steamed milk with plenty of foam.














1 ½ cups white sugar
1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup water
3 heaping tablespoons canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Splash of vanilla

In small saucepan, stir together sugars and water. Cook until sugar is dissolved (do not boil). Beat in pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla with whisk. Cook 5 minutes longer. Mix should be bubbly but do not allow to come to a full boil. Remove from heat. Allow to cool completely and pour syrup into bottle, jar or storage container. Store in refrigerator.

NOTES-

I prefer my latte with bits of spice and pumpkin in it so I don’t strain my syrup. If you prefer yours smooth, make sure you strain the syrup well before you put it into a storage container. Use cheesecloth or a mesh strainer while the syrup is still hot.

Mixture will be bubbly but do not allow it to boil. I recommend constantly stirring after you add the pumpkin so it does not stick to the pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment