September 7, 2015

Funeral Sandwiches

I found this recipe on Pinterest* a few years ago and began making them for Super Bowl parties. They were such a hit with my family and friends that I'm frequently asked to make them when we have parties or are invited to a party.
My brother told me once that they're "painful." I was surprised he chose that particular word and asked what he meant. He said, "They're like freakin' crack! I can't stop eating them and end up hurting myself because I ate so many."

LOL He has a point.. they're YUMMY!!

Enjoy!

Funeral Sandwiches
(Party quantity)

4 packages of King's Hawaiian Rolls (I use the small square rolls)
1 1lb pack regular ham (see notes)
1 1lb pack regular turkey
1 package (12 slices) Muenster cheese
1 package (12 slices) American cheese
1 stick of butter, melted
3 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. yellow mustard
2-3 T. brown sugar
dash of onion powder
dash of garlic powder

Cut the rolls in half and line the bottom of a cookie sheet with the bottoms of the rolls. Put one layer of ham over rolls, followed by a layer of turkey. Then layer cheese over top of meat, alternating between Muenster and American so that the cheese looks somewhat like a checker board when you’re finished. You don’t need to overlap the cheese because it will melt together and sorta spread out once you put the sandwiches in the oven. Put the top layer of rolls back on top.

Using a spatula or large knife, carefully cut the sandwiches along the pre-scored lines, making sure to cut all the way through to the bottom layer. Do not separate the sandwiches- leave them close together.

Mix together the melted butter, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder. Drizzle the sauce over top of the sandwiches, making sure to drench each one and get down in between each sandwich.

OPTIONAL- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator anywhere from 4-24 hours. (This is why they’re called funeral sandwiches- they can be made up to a day in advance and then put into the oven just before you’re ready to eat.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes uncovered or until cheese is melted and bun tops are a bit golden.

NOTES-
Since I am usually making these for a party, I use 4 packages of Hawaiian rolls. This recipe is easily halved or doubled based on how many servings you need.
Line your cookie sheet with tin foil and then spray with non-stick spray for easy clean-up.
Use regular/plain ham and turkey. Honey-baked, hickory smoked, or other flavored varieties will make the sandwiches taste bizarre.
I use Muenster and American cheeses because I like the way they melt and it’s what my family prefers; you can use whatever variety you’d like.
You can adjust the amount of mustard, Worcestershire, and brown sugar based on your personal preference.

*I'm usually a stickler for citing my source when I post a recipe, however, I found this one on Pinterest. Since there are several pins that list this recipe, I'm not sure which one was the original source. For reference- several different versions of this recipe can be found on Pinterest. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment