November 22, 2017

Moon Bread aka Breakfast Roll-Ups

Recently, these little roll-ups have been featured on commercials and in magazines as something all the cool kids are doing with crescent rolls, but we've been doing these for years. I guess that makes us some of the original cool kids, eh? LOL

Anyway, this is a super easy recipe for busy mornings- especially when you're trying to occupy the littles while you're cooking. I hope your family enjoys them as much as we do.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all have a safe and blessed holiday.

Original post from November 2014.
_____

For breakfast at our house on Thanksgiving morning, I always make Moon Bread. At least, that’s what the kiddos call them. Presumably, because they’re made with Crescent Rolls and they turn out in a crescent moon shape.

It all started one Thanksgiving morning when the boys were little and I was looking for a quick breakfast that they could eat without me worrying about them making too much of a mess while they were watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade when we had the whole family coming for Thanksgiving dinner. But I also wanted it to be kinda special.

My Mama used to do that when I was a kid. She’d make Monkey Bread every Christmas morning. She never made it any other day of the year except Christmas morning so that made it special. I usually do the same thing for my kiddos on Christmas morning. I make their favorite breakfasts on their birthdays and French Bread Casserole for New Year’s morning, etc, etc. But I didn’t have a special breakfast in mind for Thanksgiving morning.

I was up long before the kids that day and had everything prepared for the dishes I was going to make. I had some bacon fried for another recipe and saw a tube of crescent rolls in the crisper drawer when inspiration struck. I know my kids like crescent rolls and they like bacon so why not put them together? Then I thought, “Hey, I’ll scramble some eggs and throw some cheese in too…” and voila! A new breakfast favorite was born.

Now my kids regularly ask me to make these. This Thanksgiving, the first one without my mom, Daddy came over early and spent the whole day with us. He was here for breakfast and declared “Moon Bread” to be his new favorite. I hope your family likes it too.
_____

What you’ll need:

1 package of your favorite bacon
6-8 eggs
1 package of pre-sliced cheese, cut into thirds (see notes)
2 tubes of “Big and Buttery” crescent rolls (see notes)

Fry the bacon and break each fried slice in half- do not crumble. Slice each square of cheese into thirds and set aside. Scramble the eggs and set aside.
Unroll the crescent roll dough and separate according to the pre-scored lines on each roll. You should end up with 8* triangles.
On the big side of the triangle, place one rectangle of cheese, one teaspoon of scrambled egg, and one or two bacon halves. Fold the end up over top of the ingredients and then tuck each side underneath, towards you. Continue to turn the roll over until it comes to the point. Continue each triangle of dough until you use up all of the ingredients. If you run out of one, simply omit it from that roll and move on. Place each roll onto a cookie sheet and bake according to the crescent roll package directions.

Notes-
• These are best served hot, fresh out of the oven but you can make them a day ahead of time and warm them up.
• *Regular crescent rolls come with the dough pre-scored into 10 rolls. “Big and Buttery” crescent rolls come with the dough pre-scored into 8 rolls. I usually buy the Big and Buttery ones because that’s what my family prefers; however, this recipe turns out just as good using regular crescent rolls. Just use slightly less than a teaspoon of scrambled egg for each roll or they’ll burst open when you bake them.
• I prepare all of the ingredients the night before I plan to make these- including scrambling the eggs. Just put them into a Ziploc baggy and they’ll heat up nicely.
• Don’t crumble the bacon. Tear each cooked slice in half so that you end up with a piece about the length of your little finger. Use one or two per roll.
• I use Muenster cheese. It comes pre-sliced in a package of 10-12 slices. You can also use American or cheddar. And you can also slice thin pieces from a block of cheese.
• This recipe is very forgiving and is easily adaptable to your family’s individual preferences. Try making them using just bacon and cheese or just cheese; they’re delicious either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment